Thursday, March 3, 2011

3

Sometimes there’s an embarrassed click, then silence. More often, there’s a preparatory inhalation or sigh.  Already, Surely is jotting her deduction of background noise: Private residence.

“Um, I’ve called to speak to GR?”

“I’m sorry, but The Gentleman must remain unavailable until you’ve made yourself available.  Would you like to see if we can make this happen?”

“I think so.  Sure.”

“Good." Hesitant, but game. "Then may I suggest that if you aren’t already sitting in comfortable clothes,  you pour yourself a glass of white wine and snuggle in.  This could take a while.  I’ll wait.”

“No. That’s fine.  I’m ready.”

For the rest of the interview, Surely’s voice is like warm honey. “I’m going to ask you a series of questions. Please understand that this is your only chance to enroll.  If you hang up or are too uncomfortable to continue, your application will be terminated and future calls will not be answered. You may respond to the questions in any way that pleases you, but remember: the truth usually gets the best results.  Do feel free to elaborate as much as you’d like, and to go back and correct yourself if you’ve made a mistake.  OK?”

“Yes.”

“Good. Now let’s begin.”

No comments:

Post a Comment